Episode 22: Show Notes
Today we speak with Thomas Hayes, founder of Great Hill Capital, a long/short equity manager based in New York City. Tom outlines the opportunities that he’ll be focusing on in 2022 – from two tangible investment ideas to the sectors that he thinks are most compelling today. He also discusses his value-based investment approach, and areas of portfolio management, such as position sizing and risk management, that are top of mind for investors. He provides further insights into the current commodity cycle, geopolitical risk, and the impact of the crisis in Ukraine.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing our esteemed guest and his deep background in the financial markets.
- Taking a chance in 2012 to start on the road to founding Great Hill Capital.
- Describing the importance of attracting like-minded clients.
- How Tom deals with risk management around building large positions.
- Two big ideas for 2022, and why!
- How long he is willing to hold stock that he feels is undervalued.
- The thesis for why he thinks biotech is a compelling sector.
- Where we are in the current commodity cycle and how he thinks the cycle will play out.
- Talking about the impact of the crisis in Ukraine.
About Thomas Hayes
Thomas J. Hayes is Chairman and Managing Member of Great Hill Capital, LLC – a Long/Short Equity Manager based in NYC – servicing Accredited Investors and Qualified Institutions.
Thomas makes regular TV appearances on Fox Business, Yahoo! Finance, Bloomberg, BBC, CGTN America, Cheddar, OAN and i24News. He is frequently quoted in The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, CNBC, Reuters, Fortune, USA Today, U.S. News & World Report, Kiplinger and MarketWatch.
He graduated from Columbia University and serves on the Pension Commission for the Town of Ridgefield, CT – where he lives with his wife and two daughters.