Episode 25: Show Notes.
Today we are excited to be joined by Shifra Asonoff, the Global Head of Research at Preqin. Preqin is a provider of data, analytics and insights into the alternative asset community. Shifra illuminates the sometimes opaque nature of alternatives and walks us through some of the key trends in private markets today, including how today’s volatile market environment is affecting the alternative investment management business, key trends in fundraising and deal-flow, and performance metrics by asset class and strategy.
This is a special episode of The Pitch Podcast with an accompanying webinar interview. Access the webinar, which includes a comprehensive slide presentation, here.
A key insight of this presentation is that the difference in performance amongst the very best and average manager is wide – in some cases as wide as 20%. Shifra notes that a key characteristic shared by the highest performing managers is their ability to leverage unique relationships to originate deal flow in areas others miss.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Research that has correlated music streaming data with market flows.
- Shifra unpacks some of the recent trends and predictions for private equity’s fundraising and returns.
- Looking at venture capital and its forecasts, recent performance, and expansion of valuation.
- Recent historical perspectives and short-term trajectories for real estate assets.
- The statistics that can help investors determine the best niche strategies.
- A recap of today’s key takeaways; slowing of fundraising and deals, and the areas of increased demand.
- An explanation of the factors that drive the performance of an asset.
- Manager outperformance and the methods and strategies that determine success.
- Shifra’s perspective on comparing returns from alternative assets with those from public markets.
Shifra Ansonoff is the Global Head of Research at Preqin, carrying the remit of obtaining valuable data and insights on alternative assets via conversations with GPs and LPs, thus contributing to the industry’s most comprehensive private capital and hedge fund data sets. A 20+ year veteran of fintech, Shifra has acquired expertise in risk management, product and relationship management, and data governance. Previously, Shifra led the global operations team for the analytics solutions division at Qontigo (previously Axioma). Prior to, Shifra was with BlackRock Solutions and Bloomberg. Shifra has been an active mentor at Rutgers Business School, for which she received a Mentorship Excellence Award in 2018 and was shortlisted by Waters Technology’s Women in Technology and Data Awards for a Risk Professional of the Year award. She holds a bachelor’s in Economics from Sarah Lawrence, and an MBA in Finance from Rutgers University.
Preqin is the “Home of Alternatives”, the foremost provider of data, analytics and insights to the alternative assets community. Preqin has pioneered rigorous methods of collecting private data for more than 17 years, having built a revolutionary analytics platform that provides clients cutting-edge workflow tools and insights. Preqin also has a dedicated client services team that works around the clock as an extension of the in-house research and data teams at customers of Preqin. With Preqin more than 170,000 global professionals are streamlining how they raise capital, source deals and investments, understand performance and stay informed.